The PGI Interdonato Lemon from Messina Route
starts from the Alcantara Gorges in Motta Camastra, then continues toward Nizza di Sicilia, to discover the agricultural farm that produces the famous PGI Interdonato Lemon.
The colonel Giovanni Interdonato was born in Nizza di Sicilia, a hamlet that boast the largest number of streets named after heroes of the Italian Risorgimento. At a short distance is Ali Terme, with its splendid promenade. There you will taste some lemon based sweet specialities and hopefully see dolphins crossing the Messina Strait
The tour continues with a stopover in Fiumedisi, slightly inland on the ancient riverbed of the Nisi river, where the Nisi oriented natural reserve. Down along the Ionian ridge the route reach Messina, “the Door of Sicily”.
On the way back the tour includes a passage in Savoca, which churches and alleys where part of the locations used by the director Francis Ford Coppola for “The Godfather”.
Visiting Taormina is compelling and fashinating; the town suprises with its impressive promenade, the Greek theatre, splendid building, its trendy venues. The tours ends in the bay of Giardini Naxos, the most ancient Greek colony in Sicily.
- Visit to the citrus grove of an agricultural farm
- Visit to the citrus processin warehouse (depending on the period of the year and requirements of the visitor)
- Tasting of PGI Interdonato Lemon from Messina based sweet products
- Cooking class on typical lemon based products (at Sabina Romanos)
- Tasting of typical Sicilian delicacies in Messina (at Cannata Bakery)
- Guided tour in Messina, Taormina, Giardini Naxos and Savoca
- Excursion or trekking at the Alcantara Gorges and Fiumedisi Reserve
The Interdonato is a lemon plant obtained by grafting a lemon and a cedar tree.